Re: Ralink RT2500 54g wireless for inclusion?

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:23:33PM +0100, Nick Hill wrote:
> I understand Ralink are the only vendor to have a 54g wireless chipset
> which does not require the host to upload (non-free) firmware.
>
> Ralink have also released software and interface specs, and released a
> driver under the GPL.
>
> The Ralink RT2500 kernel module is included by default with the kernel
> released in Ubuntu 5.10.
>
> This appears to be the only 54g chipset Debian could currently support
> 'out of the box'.
>
> Given that the ralink seem particularly free software friendly, the
> chipset is cheap and common, and the driver is widely understood to work
> well, are there any good reasons not to include the driver module with
> the standard debian kernel?

Well, there is a politic of allowing only stuff that goes upstream, which is a
politic i am not really sure i am all that fond of, but well,

So do you know why this driver is not yet included upstream ?

> A list of cards using this chipset is available here:
> http://ralink.rapla.net/

Also, can you file a bug report requesting the feature, and including the
patch ?