Re: 2.6.14-rc5 and version number thingy ...

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 10:24:35AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 08:22:59AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > But apparently this caused build problems in the arch-indep part, which was
> > fixed one time by Simon Horman, and then refixed another way by Bastian Blank.
>
> No. The arch-indep part was something else: kernel-package decided that
> it wants an -rc4 in the linux-doc package while the control don't have
> them.

Well, as i understood, it makes us drop abi for the rc thingies, but then, it
is all a bit neboulous and unclear to me. Or do you mean that rc4 is no the
abi part ? Would you care to give a (very fast) overview of what is the
current implementation, or maybe even document it in one of the
debian/README.* files we have ?

> > Still, it failed for external modules, since make-kpkg complains that the
> > version is not policy compliant.
>
> 1. This is a make-kpkg bug.
> 2. /usr/share/kernel-package/kpkg-vercheck don't complains about the any
>    of the versions.
>
> So, _what_ is the problem?

Essentially the problem is that this is a bug, and as Manoj is currently
unavailable due to undergoing some extended medical handling, he will not be
available to fix this bug nextly, so it is up to us to fix it.

I am not sure i fully follow what is going on here, so i appreciate if you or
someone else who understands it better would fix the whole stack of problems :

  1) document the current status somewhere, as said above.
  2) either work around the above make-kpkg bug or fix it, and document it
  too.

Once the ramdisk issue is solved, i was planing on writing a policy document
explaining the changes and how third-party-module maintainers should go about
adapting to it and so on, which is kind of dependent on make-kpkg not being
buggy.