Re: Should we drop non-SMP ia64 kernel images?

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Sven Luther wrote:

> Do you mean that kexec doesn't work in SMP situations ? I am not sure what you
> mean about test situations and the SMP kernel should work just well in
> virtualized environments, but i have some trouble equating ia64 machines with
> low memory situations :)

The new kernel started with kexec for debugging purposes may need to be
simple and small. AFAIK the amount of memory for the second kernel is
limited. Virtualization of SMP environments is pretty complex. In
many situations its just nice to have a UP kernel around.