Re: volatile backport

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 08:07:40AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:28:01AM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > I'm working on a backport of linux-2.6 for volatile; the goal is to not
> > have it require any further backports.
>
> As discussed on irc, this is useless non-sense. The new kernel-package is
> needed on powerpc, and the alternative is to split off a standalone
> kernel-patch-powerpc-2.6.12 again.
>
> Simply upload my backported kernel-package to stable-proposed-update, but then
> we can also upload our backported kernels to it and simply ignore the whole
> volatile thingy, which altough it seems like a useful and neat idea, is in
> practice hardly worth it, as can be shown by the utter lack of content of it.

If we don't expect the package to enter sarge this sounds like an
abuse of t-p-u just to get around the rules of volatile.

Ok, on the subject, having all these queues is just a big band-aid
to the real problem that the flow from unstable to testing and
particularly to stable does not reach the need of users. Lets fix
that and stop mucking around with extra apt-sources.