Re: Observation re third parties supporting Debian kernels

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 12:58:40PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 07:02:57PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I attended a product briefing at Computer Associates on Thursday, and one of
> > the products that was discussed more than demonstrated was something called
> > eTrust Access Control[1], which, from my interpretation, sounds like it
> > achieves something similar to what SE Linux probably does. That's not really
> > the point of this email though.
>
> And why should the kernel team support propritary software, especially
> where a better free alternative exists already?

That's the attitude I feared I'd find, but was hoping I wouldn't...

In this particular instance, without being intimately familiar with CA's
product, I can't readily comment on how it stacks up with SE Linux, it just
*sounds* SE Linuxish from the description, and from how it was described at
the product briefing. As I said, the nature of the software wasn't the point
of this email, it could be doing something for which there isn't a
comparable free product out there.

At the end of the day, I think we need to accept that we live in a mixed
world of free and proprietary software. If the kernel team want to thumb
their noses at the proprietary, then it may come at the cost of lost
installations of Debian, which I think is a bad thing.

Taking the example of where I previously worked. I'd deployed a fairly
nice to manage Internet gateway infrastructure using Debian. Due to a bit of
nepotism, and general higher-up management decisions, we had CA Unicenter
foisted on us. We didn't get a say in it. Of course, it was supposed to do
all this fandanged stuff that we already had Nagios doing, but management
wanted to to be able to name drop some commercial software to clients,
rather than a mish-mash of this "open source" stuff. We're not able to fight
a massive management reeducation/attitude readjustment battle, so we have to
accept what we're given.

The problem is, when said commercial software starts mandating what Linux
distribution(s) it'll support, if the management push is for that commercial
software, then if it doesn't support Debian, then Debian's going to be the
loser, not the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on the commercial
software. So it doesn't matter that those of us that have to manage the
Linux boxes happen to firmly believe that Debian's got a lower "cost of
ownership" in terms of management than say Red Hat, management just see it
as "we want this $100,000 piece of software, and your Linux distribution
choice is blocking that implementation".

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's been in this situation. So, if you
don't want to try and ease that pain, maintain the attitude you're currently
expressing, but I don't believe it is in the best interests of our users to
be so exclusive.

regards

Andrew