Install New Kernel - How do I?

forgive me - I'm very new to linux.  I have a AMD Athlon64 3000+ chip,
and I just installed Debian linux with kernel version 2.4.27-2 i386,
so my chip is running in 32-bit emulation mode (to the best of my
knowledge)  I'd like to install the 2.6.8-11 amd64-k8 kernel, however,
and use it.  I tried to use aptitude to do this, and it downloaded the
kernel image perfectly.  However, I'm still *using* the older one.
Would anyone mind telling me precisely, in very detailed steps for a
newbie like me, how to switch kernels?  I can try to answer any
questions you might have about my current predicament, but I'd like to
solve this problem.  If I'm in the wrong mailing list, please tell me
as well - I just thought this would be an applicable list.

Thanks for your time!