Re: how to detect a debian kernel from `uname -r`

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 11:16:38PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to detect a debian kernel from uname -r.
>
> My suggestion would be to add a "-debian" at the end of the localversion
> of kernels _patched_/modified by debian, and to leave the localversion
> completely _empty_ (or an unchanged localversion compared to the
> mainline defconfig) for unmodified mainline kernels shipped by debian
> (if you ship them in the first place).

Quite honestly, I don't think we deviate enough from the mainline kernels
enough to warrant such a thing.  The main patches we include are the stable
kernel patches, misc fixes backported from linus' git repo, architecture
patches (that don't affect 99% of our users, as 99% of our users are using
x86 or x86_64 kernels), and legacy feature/modularization patches that we're
trying to get rid of.  When we upgrade to the latest linus release, we end
up dropping the majority of our patches.  Our goal is to get as close to
mainline as possible, so that we're not maintaining a huge set of patches.

> I also wonder how to detect ubuntu kernels, perhaps they're the same as
> debian I don't know. If they're the same from a sourcecode standpoint
> then I guess it's better to call them "-debian" too at the end of the
> extraversion.

Ubuntu kernels, otoh, deviate from mainline a *lot* more; specifically,
they include a lot of laptop and acpi specific patches that are not found
in mainline.  We do not currently share codebases at all (although this
may change at some point; BenC just took over mainenance of the Ubuntu
kernels, so I'm not sure what'll happen there).