Re: acct v3 support

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 04:50:03PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 02:57:47PM -0700, Ryan Lovett wrote:
> > Are there plans to have more architectures enable the newer accounting file
> > format via CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT_V3 ? I'm actually only interested in
> > amd64.
> >
> >   $ egrep 'CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT_V3=y|linux-2.6-2.6.12/debian/arch/' \
> >     linux-2.6_2.6.12-5.diff
> >
> > The above seems to indicate that v3 is enabled for alpha and hppa. I
> > realize enabling this feature may require changes in the user space tools,
> > e.g. http://www.physik3.uni-rostock.de/tim/kernel/utils/acct/
> >
> > Should I file a wishlist bug?
>
> This breaks the accounting format, so it's a change that needs a lot
> of thought.

I agree, though it is curious that it is enabled on alpha and hppa.
Does that imply that it works with their userspace, and thus should work
on other arches too. Or does it imply that no one has noticed that it
doesn't work? It seems that it should be consistently on or off for all
builds that have CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT enabled, which is all builds
except sparc and some arm flavours. I'd like some feedback on if
CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT should be enabled for those builds.

--
Horms