svn layout confusion

Ok, so now that we have dists/sid and dists/trunk (which is for development
and experimental stuff); how is this actually supposed to work?  I understand
the scenario when we have 2.6.12 in sid and 2.6.13rc in trunk; stick
any new development stuff in trunk, backport to sid if desired, do sid
releases from dists/sid, and experimental releases from dists/trunk.  What
about the case where we have 2.6.13 in both?  Are we supposed to do all
releases from trunk, and branch/cp to sid?  Are we supposed to do releases
from sid, and keep trunk ready for 2.6.14 development; regularly
forward-porting changelogs and stuff?