compiling 2.6.12 with the debian patch

Hi all,

For a few recent versions of the Debian patch I've been getting the
following when trying to compile the 2.6.12 kernel
(linux-source-2.6.12-5) with
"make-kpkg --added-patches debian kernel_image":

test -f applied_patches && rm -f applied_patches
make: [stamp-debian] Error 1 (ignored)
for patch in /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.12/apply/debian ; do            \
          if test -x  $patch; then                    \
              if $patch; then                         \
                  echo "Patch $patch processed fine"; \
          echo "$patch" >> applied_patches;   \
              else                                     \
                   echo "Patch $patch  failed.";      \
                   echo "Hit return to Continue";      \
           read ans;                           \
              fi;                                      \
  fi;                                          \
        done
E: Can't patch to nonexistent revision  (wait until 2006)
Patch /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.12/apply/debian  failed.
Hit return to Continue

Am I just dense, or is there a bug somewhere? Without the debian
patch, compiling works fine.

Teemu