Re: cross compilation breaking sparc build?

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 04:02:51PM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Specifying --arch $(ARCH) unconditionally is what's breaking the sparc kernel
> build (and it just seems like a bad idea).  First, shouldn't we just specify
> this if we're cross-compiling (ifneq ($(DEB_BUILD_ARCH),$(DEB_HOST_ARCH))) ?
> Second, --arch's arg needs to match what include/asm points to; how to best
> handle that, I'm not sure.

for powerpc/powerpc64, i defined subarch, and let kernel-package match those
subarch to the real ARCH stuff. I was not really aware of --arch back then, or
at least didn't think of it though, but then the packages for powerpc64
flavour are arch powerpc, but are built with ARCH=ppc64, so this is the best
way to handle it.

See /usr/share/kernel-package/rules for the way i do powerpc and powerpc64
stuff.