Please support the ppc64 architecture in 'linux-2.6'

Hello Sven,

On 05-Aug-16 21:22, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 08:22:32PM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> > Anyway, the patch to support the native ppc64 kernel is very simple.
> > It adds only 8 lines and two symlinks to the linux-2.6 package. Please
> > make things a little easier for me and for the native ppc64 archive by
> > applying the patch.
>
> Yeah, well, nobody in the kernel team is convinced by your approach, so i am
> not really sure we want to to support it, but you are free to try convincing
> us again :).

I understand that you do not have any technical reasons against the
patch, but you outrightly refuse to support the ppc64 port in any way.

This is not a very helpful attitude.

The native ppc64 port is explicitly supported in the current 'unstable'
versions of dpkg, apt, gcc-4.0 and many other packages. I do not see
a good reason why the linux-2.6 package should refuse to support it.

If you have something against the native ppc64 port, please discuss
this in the appropriate places and try to convince the people who
like to have a full 64-bit user space on ppc64 to use something
different.

I seriously doubt that you will be able to provide a reasonably
complete 64-bit environment with your biarch approach. Maybe I
will change my mind if you manage to convince the maintainers
of essential library packages like xorg-x11, gnome, qt and kde to
provide biarch versions of their packages.

But in the meantime, please do not block the alternative native
ppc64 approach which is already there.

Regards
Andreas Jochens