Re: kernel-manual-X.Y.Z packages

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:45:36 +0900, Horms  <horms@debian.org> said:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 12:48:29AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>> Since it may be desirable to have the doc packages installed at the
>> same time, I am considering splitting off the man pages into
>> kernel-manual-X.Y.Z (or linux-manual-X.Y.Z), which shall conflict
>> with and provide kernel-manual (or linux-manual) virtual
>> package. So, one may have multiple versions of kernel-doc installed
>> simultaneously, but only one of kernel-manuals packages installed.

> That sounds fair enough, though could this also be solved with
> alternates?

        Well. There are an unknown number of section 9 man pages, so
 the alternatives directives would have to be generated in the
 postinst based on the man pages shipped. So, either we create per
 version man page directory somewhere, or we generate a per version
 prefix for each man page, and run through them to generate the
 altrernatives and remove alternatives on the fly on install and
 remove.

        This is doable, but enough of an hassle that I would rather
 not do it unless there is an actual need for it -- do the man pages
 change that dramatically?

        manoj
--
Old programmers never die, they just become managers.
Manoj Srivastava     <srivasta@acm.org>    <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>