Re: Kernel Modules for PE2850 in default i386 2.6 kernel builds.

This kernel image works fine for me as well. The 2850's PERC SCSI cards are detected, and drives off of them do work properly.

Satadru

On May 29, 2005, at 10:01 PM, Horms wrote:

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 09:13:00PM -0400, Satadru Pramanik wrote:

I'm more than willing to test some images out.

Thanks.

satadru

I have put the images and source up at http://debian.vergenet.net/ testing/
The debian version is 5.hls.2005052700

-----Original Message-----
From: Horms <horms@debian.org>
Date: Friday, May 27, 2005 8:02 pm
Subject: Re: Kernel Modules for PE2850 in default i386 2.6 kernel builds.

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 05:13:08PM +0200, Achim Bohnet wrote:

On Thursday 19 May 2005 16:37, Satadru Pramanik wrote:

I am setting up a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with Debian/Sarge and noticed
that I can install with a sarge installation cd
using kernel 2.4.x, but I can not install with the debian 2.6.x
kernels, nor update to a debian 2.6.x kernel that will support
the built in scsi hardware.

The problem lies in the LSI SCSI cards masquerading as PERC cards
inside the machine using the megaraid2 driver
on 2.4.x, and on 2.6 using the megaraid_newgen and megaraid_mailbox
drivers.

Is there any chance the following drivers could be compiled in as
modules for 2.6.11-x-686-smp?

CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN
CONFIG_MEGARAID_MM
CONFIG_MEGARAID_MAILBOX

I would like to see this addition too.

These are already in the default config for 2.6.11-x-em64t-p4-smp.

An additional note:  the -em64t-p4-smp kernel can also be used
on Dells PE2850, BUT there are some user 32/kernel 64 bit IPMI
problems in the 2.6.11 em64t that make it no good default choice.
[Hopefully the fixes get merged before 2.6.12.]

Compiling a kernel for myself hasn't been a problem, but for the
corporate minded, it is easier to sell a
debian install (as opposed to RedHat) to a client by showing them
that a stock debian 32 bit 2.6 kernel
that has gone through the debian vetting process supports their system.

I can confirm this, we have this discussion here.

That sounds fine to me. I have put it into SVN and will do some test builds. I'll make them available when they are done (likely over the weekend), testing would be appreciated.

--
Horms

--
Horms