Re: Single kernel package discussion.

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 09:10:13PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 02:39:14PM -0400, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> >
> > kernel-headers-$(version)-$(abiname)
> > 	This is arch-specific headers package containing all the common
> > 	headers/configs/Makefiles, etc.
>
> In the three level archs, this one is subarch specific.
>
> > kernel-headers-$(version)-$(abiname)-$(flavour)
> > 	This is flavour-specific headers package, containing the
> > 	flavour-specific headers/configs/Makefiles, etc. This should
> > 	depend on the arch-specific kernel-headers package above, and
> > 	setup the symbolic links to the dirs in it, so that the
> >         /usr/src/kernel-headers-$(version)-$(abiname)-$(flavour)
> > 	directory contains the complete tree, needed for building of
> > 	out-of-tree modules.
>
> and this one is exactly the powerpc kernel-build. The only difference is the
> different naming of the package. I have considered renaming k-b to k-h on
> powerpc, but since i have a powerpc subarch and a powerpc flavour inside this
> subarch, there is a name clash that stopped me from doing this renaming, and
> which could also involve some confusion, so better to be avoided.
>
> Alternatively, one could consider :
>
>   kernel-headers-$(version)-$(abiname)-$(subarch)
>
> and
>
>   kernel-headers-$(version)-$(abiname)-$(subarch)-$(flavour)
>
> where subarch could be empty in the case of the arches who are only two
> levels.

I have a couple of questions regarding kernel-headers. The 2.6 packages for
m68k do not build kernel-headers yet, but they will once I upload 2.6.11.

Can I build kernel-headers-2.6.11-1 as an m68k.deb or does that conflict
with other arches?
Do I need a separate kernel-headers-2.6.11-1-m68k package? m68k is doing
fine without any 2.6 kernel headers so far, the buildds use a generic k-h
package.
I don't think we need subarch kernel-headers, so I silently skip your third
level.
When I built kernel-headers-2.6.11-1, I got a 5MB package, which I find
rather big. It includes include/asm-* for all 11 subarches or maybe more, do
I really need to include all them in m68k package or can I remove everything
but m68k? Can this be an option in kernel-package? Or maybe is it already?

Christian