Re: Common kernel-image source package

On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:21:04 -0400 (EDT), Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> said:

> On Tue, 10 May 2005, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does this mean that the common kernel source package would no
>> longer use make-kpkg to build the image? If not, why not
>> co-ordinate with kernel-package to get a common mechanism of
>> creating control and config files? kerel-package already has
>> mechanisms for creating the rules file, config ile, and control
>> files, and in etch would even be modular. Why reinvent the wheel?
>>
>> manoj

> Hi Manoj,

> There are no plans to drop kernel-package. The goal as I see it is
> to add functionality for handling multiple arch/subarch configs and
> control files in the build system, not rewrite it from scratch. And
> definitely, if kernel-package's functionality is going to be
> extended, we will want to take advantage of that.

        Tentatively, my plans are like this:
 a) Break up the /usr/share/kernel-package/rules file into smaller
    blocks, and move them into separate, modules like:
      /usr/share/kernel-package/include/BLAH.mk

 b) Take the current configuration section for each arch, and
    move it out into (for example)
       /usr/share/kernel-package/include/$ARCH/vars.mk
         This top level file for the architecture, can then itself
         include subarch specific files, like
       /usr/share/kernel-package/include/$ARCH/$SUBARCH/vars.mk

 c) Decide on the make snippets to be handed over to the arch and
    subarch (variables, double-colon targets, #defined canned
    sequences, etc)

 d) Figure out a set of hooks for special case processing (it would be
    really nice to support udebs)

 e) Make the maintainer scripts use debconf, and internationalize
    them.

 f) Make it so that the ./debian directory shipped with the
    kernel-image .dsc is self contained (currently, we tend to look
    into /usr/share/kernel-package/ for some stuff). We should really
    ship a ./debian directory that does not need make-kpkg to create a
    kernel-image .deb package.

        I have semi working prototype code for some of this, but it is
 mostly at proof of concept stage.

        manoj
--
My CODE of ETHICS is vacationing at famed SCHROON LAKE in upstate New
York!!