Re: Common kernel-image source package

On Tue, 10 May 2005 22:54:24 +0200, Christian T Steigies <cts@debian.org> said:

> Anyhow, I like kernel-package a lot (and I use it differently than
> other arches, just like I inherited it). However with some recent
> version, something seems to have changed so that I can not
> cross-compile images anymore. Maybe you can tell me what I am doing
> wrong. My make-kpkg call looks like this:

> make-kpkg --arch m68k --cross_compile m68k-linux --append-to-version
> -1-$i kernel_image

> With $i being the subarch, ie amiga, atari, mac, ... this used to
> build me packages called kernel-image-2.6.11-1-amiga etc (I recently
> added the -1, that is something needed in case of ABI
> changes?). However, now I get: kernel-image-2.6.11-1-amiga-m68k I
> have been unable to get rid of the final -m68k, is there an option
> or environment variable I have to set? I need --arch, otherwise the
> m68k config is not used, I want to crosscompile, I also tried
> ARCH_IN_NAME ="NO", but I always get -m68k. Why? I didn't see
> anything obvious in the changelog.

        It is not kernel-package which is adding the final -m68k --
 but perhaps some pacth is dumping in a localversion file? Perhaps the
 kernel-patch responsible for bringing in m68k changes? localversion
 files are a mechanism to append strings to the version number, and
 are used, generally, by third party patches to brand the kernel
 image.

        manoj

--
In spite of everything, I still believe that people are good at
heart. Ann Frank