Re: Kernel compiling....

Marc Haber ha scritto:

Hi,

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 02:01:02PM +0200, Marco Calviani wrote:
sorry for the maybe stupid and repetitive question, is it possible to use the nice features of make-kpkg also with a vanilla kernel coming from kernel.org or is it required to use the kernel-source from debian repositories?

make-kpkg works with vanilla kernels as well.

Currently, it looks like the Debian kernel development has kind of
lost communication to the kernel-package maintainer since the kernel
sources keep popping up with features that would look more canonical
inside kernel-package's code to allow them to be used with vanilla
kernels as well.

Greetings
Marc

Thanks for your hint.... My need of using vanilla kernels is only related to the fact that in the debian releases of 2.6.11 kernel, they have wipe out the tg3 broadcom network driver. It seems that it has moved to kernel-source-nonfree but it is not on the official repositories (i'm running on unstable). I would like to try the vanilla kernel and then when things will be stabilized with the nonfree section i'll return back to debian's kernel-source.

Regards,
MC