Re: Changelog entries best practices?

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, maximilian attems wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Jurij Smakov wrote:

  * Built against kernel-source 2.x.y-z. For a complete list of changes
    consult the kernel-source changelog, which may be accessed online
    at http://changelogs.debian.net/kernel-source-2.x.y

that's a nice idea,
but we should not burden the uploaders to much with such formal
boilerplates. i prefer to put a similar phrase in the Readme.Debian
for any curious, please feel free to add it there.

Hi Maximilian,

I don't think that's too much of a burden. Besides, as the bug submitter points out, only changelog for the packages chosen for installation is displayed by aptitude and apt-listchanges _before_ the actual installation. The rationale of these tools is that user can examine the changelogs and if (s)he is not happy, cancel the installation. So, I think, it is natural to include the pointer to the actual k-s changelog there.

that doesn't match current practise.
an changelog entry reads from the top to the down.
so it's makes sense to add it that way.

I was not aware of that. I'll document it in trunk/README and adhere to it from now on :-).

Thanks and best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org