/home/dilinger/src/kernel/kernel-image/2.6.11-2

/lib/modules/2.6.11-1-686-smp/source/ ->
/home/dilinger/src/kernel/kernel-image/2.6.11-2/kernel-image-2.6.11-i386-2.6.11/install-686-smp

Can this be cleaned up? It would be convienent to be able to rebuild the kernel sources & modules against stock kernel.

Could the build process be modified so that the kernel sources are built from /usr/src/kernel-image/2.6.11-2/ or something simple like that?

Does the current method of packaging up the kernel sources / sending them as debian packages / kernel source tarballs help anyone? It doesn't seem to do me any good; but perhaps there are better ways of working with the sources & debian kernel patches?

If I want to build my own kernel from the debian sources, I apt-get source the appropriate kernel-image package, run debuild and grab the appropriate dir once it's all be setup. (usually 686-smp or k7).

Then I rename that, do the normal:
make menuconfig; make; make modules; make modules_install;make install

Then there doesn't seem to be a simple way to make the initrd so I always have to manually run:
mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-(VERSION) (VERSION)

Also, I'm not sure how to have the kernel package post-install.sh script run so I usually manually add the new kernel to menu.lst.

It looks like the "make pkg-deb" option isn't in the kernel yet. Is anyone going to try to get that in there correctly again? It would be nicer I think if the kernel did "make pkg" and auto-detected if you wanted a .rpm or .deb.

Thanks for any pointers to the "correct" methods of doing things,
Jeff