Re: spca5xx -- Device driver for USB webcams based on the spca5xx chips

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Jeff Carr wrote:

Jurij Smakov wrote:

Since it is becoming more and more a kernel topic, you might also want to move discussion to debian-kernel.

Could someone give us a simple rundown of how we would submit a patch to the debian kernel sources to add spca5xx support? The spca5xx driver adds support for a large number of USB cameras. Recently Carlos posted something about adding support to debian-devel and Jurij suggested we go here as it is a kernel issue.

I've also been using the spca5xx driver for my USB camera against the standard 2.6.8+ kernels for a few months. I just built it against 2.6.11-1-686-smp today.

Is the correct way to submit this to build a patch against the 2.6.11 sources, try it out and then post the patch here? Should the patch be just the kernel module, or also patches to the .config files. Just wondering what is easiest.

Hi Jeff,

I do not have experience with packaging modules, but as I understand (and if it's not true people will hopefully correct me) the most common practice is to package the source of the out-of-tree modules as separate packages. There is a package module-assistant which greatly simplifies the building of the modules compatible with stock Debian kernels (and you don't have to have the entire tree to build the modules usually, installing the corresponding kernel-headers package should be enough). You can find many examples of such packages in the archive (just run 'apt-cache search modules | grep source'), as well as documentation in /usr/share/doc/module-assistant/ directory on how to prepare them.

Hope that helps,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org