Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 07:39:09PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 10:51:30AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Then let's see some acts.  We (lkml) are not the ones with the percieved
> > problem, or the ones discussing it.
>
> Actually, there are some legitimate problems with some of the files in
> the Linux source base.  Last time this came up, the Acenic firmware was
> mentioned:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/12/msg00078.html

and

for a similar issue.

Also, one year ago I made some factual research about firmwares in the
Linux kernel 2.4.25. The results are here:

One of the conclusion is that several firmwares would benefit from a
license clarification which explicitly allow redistribution.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.