Re: issues with hard freezing kernels 2.4.27 and 2.6.8?

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 11:28:09PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as all of you have seen during the last days, updates to the kernels 2.4.27
> and 2.6.8 have a good chance to break the installer.  Also, we need to try
> out how we can do a security updates with the kernel that is reasonably
> fast.
>
> For this reason, we should update the kernels in sarge (and, for sanity
> reasons also the same also in sid) and their binary modules only via a
> security-team-like way, and declare the kernels 2.4.27 and 2.6.8 and their
> binary modules as hard frozen (after the currently running updates are done, of
> course).  In that case, updates to them would be done in cooperation between
> one kernel team member (e.g. Andres Salomon) and one release team member (that
> would probably be me); of course, help by all of you would be appreciated
> very much.

I don't want to sound my own trumpet, but I am not sure that Andreas
really wants to be worrying about 2.4, so it might be better if
you had an alternate contact for those kernels, say myself
or Josh Kwan.

> So, my question is: Are there any issues with that?  Are there non-security
> updates to the kernels required (except of #288180 that I'm already
> aware off)?

There seems to be a problem with the radeon driver relating
to some missing symbols. I suspsect a trivial build problem
introduced in 2.6.8-14 or -15. Other than that, there are a mountain
of bugs, but off hand I can't think of anything particularly exciting.

--
Horms