Re: a kernel plan for sarge and beyond ...

Otavio Salvador wrote:
> || On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:05:05 -0500
> || Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
>
> jh> Andres Salomon wrote:
> >> Cons:
> jh> - Does not address issues with d-i udebs and abi changes at all.
> jh> - It becomes impossible to include third-party modules in d-i, since we
> jh>   have no precompiled modules for them anymore.
>
> I think the udebs won't be build from kernel-source directly. The
> udebs should be build using the kernel-wedge like now. But it can be
> all did together and will be faster then the current way.

Suppose that sarge releases and you buy a copy of the official sarge
businesscard CD image for your wallet. Or you burn a set of floppies.

Now a security fix comes out, the kernel ABI is changed, and you try to
install using your old official sarge installation media. At this point,
with or without Andres's plan, you'll get a message that the installer
was unable to find any kernel module udebs matching it kernel on the
debian mirror.

Although, with Andres's plan, we don't even track ABIs anymore, so
perhaps the installer won't even be able to tell that the new udebs will
not work with it, and will just fail horribly later on instead of
displaying the error message.

--
see shy jo