Re: ABI-changing kernel security fixes for sarge

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 05:07:08PM +0100, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 01:35:47AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > - Add the security fix in before sarge's release, with a change to the
> >   package names to reflect the ABI change.  This will probably require at
> >   least a month to get all kernel images rebuilt and integrated into a
> >   debian-installer RC4 build, during which time the sarge release would be
> >   delayed.

> Can this happen in parallel to a freeze? If no, why not?

It can, but once we've allowed any of the kernel-image packages into
testing, we're more or less committed to doing another d-i release candidate
before finalizing the media in order to keep the kernels in sync.  The
kernel maintainers can upload any kernel packages to unstable that they want
to, but I don't know why they would want to go to the effort of preparing a
full set of 2.6.8 kernels for unstable if they don't know they will ever
reach sarge.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer