Re: About the current binary firmware drivers situation

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:40:23AM -0600, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:10:56PM +0100, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The general resolutions 2004-003 and 2004-004 in mind, I would like to
> > find a consensus among the kernel-team members on how to deal with
> > binary-only firmware blobs in the kernel, now for sarge, and for later
> > releases.
>
> Debian GRs do not excuse us of violating the GPL or the firmwares copyrights.

As shown in another mail, there is no GPL violation involved here, provided we
do the necessary cleanup work in the individual copyright assignement in the
files including non-free firmware.

The real problem now that i think of it, is that any such copyright
clarification should in reality be done by the copyright holder of said file,
and we should bring this issue upstream.