Links in kernel-headers packages

Dear list,

how can I control the contens of a self made kernel_headers package?

I have a Debian sarge box (i386) running vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-k7 from the official kernel packages. The related installed debs:

kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7
kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-k7
kernel-headers-2.6.8-2
kernel-kbuild-2.6-3

I don't want to have a kernel-source package installed on my system. Now I want to install VMware Workstation, which needs to compile modules for the running kernel. The VMware install tool asks me for the location of the include directory and I answer: /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-k7/include/
Everything runs very well. VMware compiles and runs perfectly.

Now I want to make customized kernel packages. I install the package kernel-source-2.6.8, unpack the source, configure the kernel and run:

make-kpkg --append-to-version -jexss-k7 --revision 1.0 kernel_image kernel_headers

This gives me two packages:

kernel-image-2.6.8-jexss-k7_1.0_i386.deb
kernel-headers-2.6.8-jexss-k7_1.0_i386.deb

I install the new kernel and reboot into this one. Now I want to compile the Vmware modules for that kernel. The VMware install tool asks me for the location of the include directory and I answer:

include/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-jexss-k7/include

Unfortunately, the modules don't compile:

make[2]: scripts/Makefile.build: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/Makefile.build'.  Stop.
(and similar error messages)

I see that the original kernel-headers package from Debian has a link "scripts" which points to ../kernel-headers-2.6.8-2/scripts. This one points then to ../kernel-kbuild-2.6-3/scripts and there is the missing Makefile.build file.

Apparently the scripts/ directory of the kernel source is included in the kernel-kbuild package and has links to it in the kernel-headers package. But the links are missing in my package.

How do I include the corresponding links into my personal kernel-headers package?

Thank you very much,
Jan.

--

Jan Exß