Re: irc meeting regarding kernel status d-i RC3

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:21:49 +0900, Horms wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:50:29PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
[...]
>> > The 2.6 development model places the onus of stabalisation much more
>> > firmly on the distributions. I am of the mind that Debian would have
>> > more chance in getting things stabalised if we can focus on one 2.6
>> > kernel.
>>
>> Yes and we should have been focusing on one kernel since the decision
>> was made several months ago to stop looking at newer kernel versions for
>> sarge. If you go ahead and change the kernel now, after we've just
>> finished[1] dealing with the fallout of updating both gnome and kde to
>> new upstream versions in sarge, and when i386 is no longer installable
>> at all because of a new parted upstream that was just shoved in (w/o
>> consulting me :-( ), then we may as well rename sarge to "etch" and
>> "rc2" to "sarge release" and be done with it.
>
> The real problem here, as far as I see it, is that we have 2.6.8, but
> in order to allow people to play with newer code and to see what
> has been solved upstream we put 2.6.9 and subseqhently 2.6.10 in
> the tree. Not my choice incidently, and in my oppinion this
> has taken some effort away from 2.6.8.

I think the real problem here is that sarge hasn't even frozen yet. :)

I'm of the opinion that if sarge is literally less than a month away from
freezing, then let's stick w/ 2.6.8.  It's Good Enough; if we can get
around ACPI problems by disabling it, fine.  However, if sarge is still
far away from freezing, then there's no reason not to go w/ 2.6.10.
It's clearly shown itself to be a better kernel in some cases; we just
need testing to find regressions in *core* stuff (individual drivers,
filesystems, etc, can all have fixes backported.  It's the core stuff
that's difficult).  I'm not concerned about when d-i rc3 is released; I
care about when *sarge* releases. People said that once rc2 was out, sarge
would be ready.  That's clearly not the case, and probably won't be the
case once rc3 is out.