Re: Status of Kernel 2.4.28 packages?

On 2 Jan 2005, at 7:16 pm, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 07:37:59PM +0100, Stephan Niemz wrote:
    The kernel version 2.4.28 is out for almost seven weeks now.
Does anybody know about the status of the corresponding Debian
packages?  And is there an estimation for when the kernel-patch-*
packages will support the new kernel version?

There's an unfinished 2.4.28 kernel-source package in the debian-kernel
SVN repository.

For me and several other members of the debian kernel team 2.4 packages
have been a much lower priority than 2.6 packages.  Given that and that
sarge will release with 2.4.27 anyway I'm not sure when a 2.4.28 package
will get into unstable.

Any reason you're not using 2.6 kernels?

There are plenty of reasons not to use 2.6 kernels. I'd love to use 2.6 for everything, but in many cases at work I can't. There are too many kernel modules from third party sources (some of which are binary -- yes I know, but sometimes we have to just live with the idiots in some commercial software and hardware companies) which just don't support 2.6 yet.

Having said that, for such machines I tend not to upgrade the kernel much anyway, since the same idiotic companies usually have strict support matrices for the exact kernel version they support.

2.6 is still too new as far as most ISVs are concerned, and so Debian shouldn't lower the priority of work on 2.4 kernels too much just yet, in my opinion.

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
GPG: 1024/D FC81E159 5BA6 8CD4 2C57 9824 6638  C066 16E2 F4F5 FC81 E159