Re: why should I send you any more patches 4 initrd-tools?

|| On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:01:36 +0100
|| "Harald Dunkel" <harald.dunkel@t-online.de> wrote:

hd> For 0.1.76 (on unstable) I was surprised by the changelog
hd> claiming that I did introduce the typo. Come on, folks!
hd> I am used to test my software. Surely as every SW engineer
hd> I have introduced a lot of bugs to the software I was
hd> involved with. But I don't like to be accused in the
hd> changelog for delivering bad code, just because somebody
hd> preferred to manually apply my patch and then did not
hd> even verify his work.

Sure this was a mistake. Probably the maintainer was confused thinking
your patch had the typo.

hd> But what really makes me pissed is that all the other
hd> patches floating around in the bug reports still haven't
hd> been applied! They haven't been rejected, either.

hd> For my part this makes me feel that I have just wasted
hd> my time. Why should I send you any more patches, if
hd> they are ignored?

Well, IMHO, uploads so near of a stable release have to be only to RC
bugs since a so important package like initrd-tools can brake a lot of
things and a lot of users. This is the probably reason of your patches
keep out of this release.

Sure your patches are important but the maintainer can't trust your
patches about all possible implications and in that case it's not
suitable for uploads near of stable release. IMHO, the maintainer,
should take all patches (or all more important) and include on another
upload target to experimental distribution while we have a more
trustable release for sid and sarge.

Your patch wasn't include on imediate release doesn't make your patch
uneeded. As I tried to explain above, sometimes the maintainer need to
choose which bugs will solve before and keep the less important or
less frequent for later.

My 2c ;-)

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R