Re: Problem with kernel on SATA hosts - RC?

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 03:06:17AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 12:01:29PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > Obviously, you cannot load the SATA modules if you need the SATA code to
> > access the hard disc.
>
> Of course you can, that's what initial ramdisks are for.

Initially, I also thought that, but I have been unable to get things to
work using the standard Debian kernel packages.

After installing sarge, I uninstalled grub and installed lilo (just a
personal preference). Everything continued to work.

I then installed kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686 2.6.8-10. (Actually, I tried
kernel-image-2.6.8-1-386 first, replacing the previous, working setup -
doh!)

After that, a reboot resulted in lilo loading the kernel, the kernel
starting up, but panicking after a short while. I have verified that
lilo.conf is set up correctly, including the right initrd=... setting.

The error messages output by the kernel are as follows:

pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: Cannot open /dev/console: no such file or directory
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Do these messages this apply to the /dev inside the initrd?? FWIW, the
machine does not use udev or devfs.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯