Re: 2.6.8 kernel panic under k7 (but not 386)

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 07:30:37PM +1300, Robert Coup wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I posted this to debian-user but got no replies. If this is because I
> have missed out some crucial information, please say!
>
> ----
>
> I have installed sarge onto a new AMD XP2500 system. By default, it
> installed the 2.6.8-1-386 kernel which works fine. I decided to upgrade
> to 2.6.8-1-k7 using the kernel-image package. That worked ok (apt-get;
> grub-install) until I rebooted. Then I get the kernel panic shown at the
> end.
> I get the same result with 2.6.7-1-k7 and 2.6.8-1-686, but it works fine
> with -386!.
>
> Is it something dumb I am doing, or is there some difference (besides
> CPU) between the -386 and -k7 kernel builds that I should be aware of?
>
> I know I can recompile my own kernel, but using the standard packages
> makes maintenance easier IMO and thats what I'd prefer to do.
>
> kernel error (2.6.8-1.k7), lspci, and dmesg (2.6.8-1-386) outputs are
> below.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the imformation.

There are some differences between the 386 and k7/686 configs.
Some of them are spurious, like some encryption algoritms and
drivers being on or off. But most of them relate to CPU settings.

My advice would be firstly to make sure that you have the lastest
version of the 2.6.8 kernel image, right now that means 2.6.8-4.

You can compare and contrast the various config files in various ways,
including installing the corresponding kernel-headers package which
should contain usr/src/kernel-headers-<blah>/.config, or by peeking
into svn which is where the kernel-team keeps its files.

http://svn.debian.org/viewcvs/kernel/trunk/kernel/

--
Horms