Re: 2.6.8.1 doesn't boot

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 10:07:36PM -0400, Eric C. Cooper wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 09:57:55PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> > Hello all...now that I've gotten my serial console to work, I've got a
> > log to share. At the very bottom of the log, I get stuck there, no more
> > boot activity after that. After a few minutes, I reboot. Can anyone
> > help?
> > [...]
> > Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 8 ports, IRQ sharing
> > disabled
> > pmac_zilog: 0.6 (Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>)
> > pmac_zilog: Error registering serial device, disabling pmac_zilog.
> > pmac_zilog: Did another serial driver already claim the minors?
>
> You've compiled in the PC serial driver, which conflicts with the Mac
> one.  Here are the serial-related settings from my config for 2.6.8.1:
>
> # CONFIG_MAC_SERIAL is not set
> # CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set
> # CONFIG_SERIAL_8250 is not set
> CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_CONSOLE=y
> # CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550 is not set
> # CONFIG_USB_SERIAL is not set

Notice that the debian package has a patch which allows to have both compiled
in, and have the serial driver check that he is not on a mac before getting
enabled.

The patch is in the kernel-patch-2.6.8-powerpc, so you may have missed it if
you use kernel-source-2.6.8 directly.

I feel that we should do this kind of thing for all the legacy drivers which
poke around in random parts of the memory, and have those patches in the main
kernel-source package.