Re: r1087 - trunk/kernel/source/kernel-source-2.6.8-2.6.8/debian

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:17:17 +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

[...]
> Umm, again, debian has the concept of a .orig.gz and a diff.gz and we
> shouldn't mess with .orig.gz unless we can't redistribute it.

Normally I'd agree, but the orig.tar.gz isn't upstream's anyways.  We're
still modifying it.  So, orig.tar.gz isn't the actual upstream source,
it's our modified source.  Obviously, we want as few changes as possible
in orig.tar.gz, but the only other alternative is in the diff.gz; and if
we do that, there's the potential for changes to get lost/forgotten about
(since our changes to upstream source are all dpatches and the
prune-non-free script).  I think the best place for this is in
orig.tar.gz; I just mailed the patch to Andrew, so hopefully we won't have
to worry about this for 2.6.9.

> Given that I can easily build a kernel even without
that fix I can't see
> how it's criticial in any way.

This could be considered a FTBFS bug, which is RC.  If this was a normal
package, being built on buildds, then the clean rule would be run after
the package was unpacked.