Re: New kernel-source-2.6.7 upload ?

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 02:33:02PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > I have to update the marvell-pegasos.dpatch patch,
>
> Keep in mind that you must not change patches that have been part of
> previous uploads.  An update has to go in as marvell-pegasos-2.dpatch.

Arg, didn't think about that.

Well, if the patch replaces the old patch in such a way that there is no
interaction with newer patches, this should be no major problem, right ?

And since none of the per-arch patches actually handle the per patchlevel
thingy in kernel-source, is it really important to make that distinction ?

> > I have upto now refrained from doing the upload, since the changes
> > there where mostly powerpc specific, but if nothing is going to
> > happen with regard to them nextly, i think it warrants an upload.
>
> Can't the new patch wait till 2.6.8?  What problem does it fix?

The old patch was trying to read the mac address out of the prom of the mips
discovery board. Since we obviously don't have the same prom layout on
pegasos, we get 00:00:00:00:00:01 as MAC address, which is not the right
thing.

The new version of the patch does read the value of the MAC address set by the
firmware directly from the chip registers.