Re: 2.6.8 release

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:45:57 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
[...]
> Aren't experimental and unstable in different override files?

Quoting AJ:
"For people uploading to experimental, you should be aware of the
following:

 * experimental uses the same overrides as unstable. Packages
   already in unstable can be uploaded to experimental without
   requiring any delay while an ftpmaster reviews licenses and
   such; and similarly once a NEW package uploaded to experimental
   has been approved, no further delay will be required when it's
   uploaded to unstable."

> Its a collosal problem. You can never replace a kernel image without
> making damn sure the new modules work with the old kernel flawlessly.

According to the developers' reference:

"If you are working on an incompatible or complex upgrade situation, you
can also use experimental as a staging area, so that testers can get early
access."

That's exactly what we'd be doing.  We don't guarantee a smooth upgrade
from an experimental version of the kernel to a kernel in unstable.
Sure, we'll try real hard to make the upgrade smooth, but if you've
compiled modules against a kernel in experimental, they may or may not
work.