Re: weirdness in debian/prune-non-free

Hi,

Thibaut VARENE writes:

> # prune the firmware from the Tigon3 driver, leaving the rest in place
> awk '/^(static
> )?u32.*tg3(Tso)?5?Fw(Data|Rodata|Text)/,/^};$/{evil=1}!evil{print}{evil=0}'
> drivers/net/tg3.c > drivers/net/tg3.c.pruned
> mv drivers/net/tg3.c.pruned drivers/net/tg3.c
> rm -f drivers/net/tg3.c

> Now I wonder: what's the point of purging firmware from the tg3.c
> file if we end up deleting it afterwards?

>From debian/changelog:

  * Added the drivers-net-tg3 patch.  It only adds firmware loading
    support, contrary to the drivers-net-tg3-readd patch which re-adds the
    whole driver.  As a consequence, the Debian patch also applies to the
    vanilla kernel again.  Note that this patch is only kept here for
    reference for the time being and will not be activated until the next
    upstream release (Jens Schmalzing).

The point being that when 2.6.8 comes out, we only need to remove that
last line of the code snippet you quoted.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!