Re: status of 2.6.7 ?

In gmane.linux.debian.devel.x Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
[...]
> Mmm, i think there is a misunderstanding here (maybe on my part).
> Existing XF86Config-4 files will have this "cleverness" like you say
> already generated, and thus break if there is no /dev/psaux as core
> pointer.

> The Huge change i was refering to was to have XFree86 be happy, even if
> there is no corepointer detected, or be having more than one core
> pointer.

Ther was a discussion about this on IRC, Baranden noted that X currently
cannot be configured in the way we would need it, i.e. with two devices
defined and X succeeding if either of them can be opened and X failing
if none can be opened.

> Alternatively, it should (maybe) be possible to have /dev/input/mice be
> the corepointer, and /dev/psaux sending core events. The
> /dev/input/mice, in my understanding, will be available even if there is
> no device attached to it, which is not the case of /dev/psaux.

This does not work with 2.4. I've tested exchanging the roles of /dev/psaux
and /dev/input/mice, i.e.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Protocol"              "MouseManPlusPS/2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection

which results in
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
        No such device.
[...]
Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices