Re: 2.4 kernels

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 10:34:27AM +0900, Horms wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 01:07:17PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > * Horms <horms@debian.org> [2004-07-08 16:57]:
> > > 1) Where is the CVS tree?
> >
> > ssh people.debian.org:~herbert/cvs/   I don't know which modifications
> > wli has made already since Herbert uploaded his sources.
>
> Thanks, I have that now.
> I will assume wli hasn't made any changes unless I hear otherwise.
>
> > > 2) Should this move to SVN. I am happy to help with that.
> >
> > Sounds like a plan.
>
> Ok, I will use the same layout as for 2.6.

About layouts, i am not 100 sure, but maybe we made a mistake in it, a
mistake easily corrected though thanks to subversion.

The fact is that we have a layout of the kind :

  .../package1/	-> trunk
  		-> tags
		-> branches/branch1
		-> branches/branch2
  .../package2/	-> trunk

While another layout would have been :

  trunk -> .../package1
  	-> .../package2
  tags -> .../package1
  	-> .../package2
  branches -> .../package1/branch1
  	   -> .../package1/branch2
  	   -> .../package2

Which makes it easier to checkout all the trunk of it.

I am not sure which is better. The first solution applies well when
there are more or less independent subprojects, where you check out each
of them individually anyway, the second is better for closely
interelated project, like debian-installer for example.

The problem here being that altough the tags and branches take almost no
place on the SVN server, they take a lot of place on the client
filesystem, so you have to make sure to checkout only the trunk, and not
all the branches, which having the trunk path-part first makes easier,
but then i am sure someone here can suggest a nice way of doing it even
in the per project layout.