Re: Open a discussion about bug 253324

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 03:50:28PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I'd like to know how a modularized PCI subsystem can be loaded _AFTER_
> > a PCI dependent FB driver.
>
> Well, duh, obviously you can't do that.  :-/
>
> > What then if the PCI buswalk kills the kernel?
>
> You write these parts of the kernel defensively so that this doesn't
> happen, and/or you test it extensively so that you're sure it won't
> happen.
>
> You boot without framebuffer options, and look at the console text.

Well, if you would go out of your x86-centric world, you would know that
half if not more of the architectures debian support _DON'T_ have text
console. You mean we should provide a null modem cable and a laptop with
every debian CD we ship or something such ?

> > This is a gross example, still it proves that kind of idea can't be
> > implemented.
> >
> It is the direction the kernel people want to move further in.

Yes, but we are speaking 2.6 and the sarge release here, your plan most
definitively doesn't agree with that.