How can I make a kernel package that is _identical_ to those available for download?

Hi folks,

I've tried about half a dozen times over the last year to compile a working
kernel for my old 233MHz machine.  I thought I might have had a defective
processor (a K6) but I've changed it to a genuine Intel Pentium and still had no success. I can successfully install one of the precompiled kernel images,
but compiling one on my box has failed so far.

I am currently running RC1 of sarge with a 2.4.27 kernel that I downloaded
as a kernel image, but I've previously tried with 3.0r1 (and 2.4.18 (and others)).

As I write this, I'm downloading kernel-source-2.4.27_2.4.27-6_all.deb.

I have kernel-package installed.

As far as I can tell, the latest testing kernel image for Pentium is
kernel-image-2.4-586tsc_100_i386.deb, right?

What commands do I need to issue in order to generate a .deb that is
_identical_ to that?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Rossc.