Re: Installing on a Dual CPU G5 Powermac?

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 04:47:31PM -0800, shyamal wrote:
>     "Sven" == Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
>     >> Is there a way to use a rescue kernel (in this case the Gentoo
>     >> kernel booted from a Mac HD using OpenFirmware) to start the
>     >> d-i on the Sarge CD? (My guess is not, but then I'm not very
>     >> familiar with internals of d-i).
>
>     Sven> No, the first order of business is to try d-i again, and
>     Sven> fill a installation report about it. Can you please remember
>     Sven> me your state of things, i don't seem to have your older
>
> Installation report is at

Ok, thanks.

>     Sven> If the kernel issue is fixed, and d-i is working, then
>     Sven> everything is fine, no ? Can you provide me info on the
>     Sven> exact model that this concerns ?
>
> Nope, the kernel in d-i does not boot this G5. John Koskie indicated
> (in this thread) that he has seen the same problem with newer G5
> hardware (him and Paddy de Burca report having used d-i on similar,
> somewhat older G5 machines with sucess though).

Well, the real problem is that Apple doesn't have any serial console thingy,
and that thus i am a bit on a loss on how to get the early kernel log info, in
order to get the info on what is broken or whatever. On my pegasos powerpc
box, and on all IBM powerpc boxes, you would simply use the serial console,
and have everything, so we need a powermac kernel expert here. Ben or
Christoph ? Could you give a helping hand here ?