Re: Woody, stable 2.4.18 no compile, multiple problems

please keep cc on list,
if you want to send me private gifts than don't hesitate,
but snail mail is usually better for that. ;-)

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004, David Koski wrote:

> I chose one of the latest from the (woody) list provided by apt-get
> kernel-package. BTW, with all the bugs and confusion I decided to start
> fresh and boot from Knoppix, set up the raid-1 and install. The
> whole reason for making a kernel was to have raid support built in.
>
> Also, woody requires backports of lilo and who knows what. I never
> did get it to work.  The whole idea of "stable" is looking less
> attractive. I had to compile the kernel as root because fakeroot or the
> a script is broken. That was a new woody "stable" standard
> install. (Sigh..)

you are mixing confusing statement:
* you want to have stability, but advanced features that weren't
  stabilized for production use back then.
* knoppix is fun and nice to play, but afair it's not an installer.
  try newer d-i rc2, it has very nice raid support. *)
* report bugs against fakeroot if it does not work.
  it worked fine for me back the woody days.

good luck

--
maks
kernel janitor  	http://janitor.kernelnewbies.org/