Re: 2.6.x - Missing: Initio 9x00 Support (drivers/scsi/initio.ko)

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:01AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 05:25:15PM +0900, Horms wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 12:02:22AM -0700, James wrote:
> > > I find it very disheartening that my old ISA Future Domain scsi host
adapters, sitting at the bottom of a box full of misc cards, are happily
supported in the stock 2.6.x debian kernel packages thus far, but my only
spare PCI Ultra-Wide host adapter, an Initio 9100 UW based card, which works
quite nicely in 2.6 (after my participation with the SCSI Kernel developers
to get the module updated prior to the release of 2.6.0-final), is left
flapping in the breeze by Debian.

> > > Was this just an oversight, or is there a reason the Initio 9x00 SCSI
driver has been excluded from Debian?

> > Unfortunately it is considered broken upstream at this point in time.
> > More speficically, it is flaged as BROKEN in Kconfig.
>
> The driver has been fine for a long time and the errornous BROKEN flag
> has been removed upstream already.

I'm not sure it was fixed in 2.6.0 final, as I was working with the
Linux-SCSI folks during the last week or two of release candidates, and may
have been using a patch from the development crew while running 2.6.0,
however I have been using the stock driver successfully since 2.6.1.
Christoph is quite correct in saying the driver has been fine for a long
time... but sometimes I really begin to feel I'm the only person in the
world who uses this card ;)