Re: Compiling in SELinux in the default kernels

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 01:39:10AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         I would once again like to bring up the possibility of
>  compiling in support for SELinux in 2.6.9+  kernels, but leaving them
>  disabled by default at boot time.  This can be accomplished by
>  setting CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM_VALUE==0 in the
>  configuration  (I am attaching a suggested set of security related
>  configuration options below).
>
> 	The last time I brought it up, I was told that his has already
>  come up on the list, and the reason we do not compile in  SELinux is
>  that there is a performance hit on doing so.
>
> 	On doing further research, I have discovered that yes, there
>  is a 5-7% performance penalty on *running* SELinux -- but that is a
>  whole different ball game. If SELinux is compiled in, and disabled at
>  boot, there is no discernible performance hit -- benchamrks show that
>  any effect is lost in the noise (since the only effect is that of the
>  LSM hooks alone).
>
> 	I think this would be really helpful to our users, since then
>  they can chose to try out SELinux by just adding a stanza to grub or
>  lilo -- try things out in non-enforcing mode, for instance.
>
> 	I also notice that 2.6.9 kernels are not slated for Sarge
>  (having just acquired an grave bug to ensure that), I strongly urge
>  that the 2.6.9 kernel configuration be modified for SELinux.

Manoj,

That sounds find to me on all counts - especially the no performance hit
by default, and not included in stable until post sarge counts. I will
put the change into SVN.  Other members of the Kernel Team can reverse
it if they feel the need.

--
Horms