OPL3-SA2 failed with error -16

Hi,

I've created a custom 2.6.8 kernel to include support for the OPL3-SA2 sound
card because I had no sound with the default 2.6.8-1. Nevertheless I keep
getting the same error [as the default kernel]. From the kernel messages:
--
ad1848/cs4248 codec driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
pnp: Device 01:01.00 activated.
ad1848: PnP reports 'OPL3-SA3 Snd System' at i/o 0xe80, irq 10, dma 1, 0
pnp: the driver 'opl3sa2' has been registered
pnp: match found with the PnP device '01:01.00' and the driver 'opl3sa2'
opl3sa2: probe of 01:01.00 failed with error -16
opl3sa2: No PnP cards found
YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft 1993-1996
--
With the alsa driver the best I achived was to have the soundcard detected but
producing no sound. If I did "cat file.wav > /dev/dsp" it simply hanged.

I've installed Debian recently. And in my previous system I had a running kernel
which supported my soundcard with no problem. I've built that kernel too so I'm
lost here.

Can anyone point me what I'm missing or what should I try next?

Cláudio F. Gil