Re: Dropping 386 support

* Joey Hess [Sun, 03 Oct 2004 12:54:21 -0400]:
> Andres Salomon wrote:
> > Given d-i's memory requirements, and the fact that you'd be hard-pressed
> > to find a (desktop) 386 system with more than 16 megs of memory, I don't
> > consider debian 3.1 to be a viable candidate for installing onto a 386.
> > Also, note that if we do drop 386 support, I will rename
> > kernel-image-2.6.8-386 to kernel-image-2.6.8-486, and update
> > optimizations accordingly.

> I have no opinion on 386 support, but it's too late to go changing
> kernel package names for sarge. d-i relies on the current names, and
> this sort of transition will likely set us back days or weeks on our
> release schedule.

  would it be a problem to actually update optimizations as Andres
  proposes, but without changing packages? that is, *if* finally sarge
  ships without plain i386 support and that is clearly noted in the
  release notes.

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all
                -- George Bernard Shaw