Pentium III laptop _instant_ shutdown during custom kernel compile!

Box:		Dell Latitude L400 laptop
Dist:         'Testing' (up-to-date)
Package:  kernel-source-2.6.8 (inc. Debian patches)
GCC:         2.95

Configured .config using 'make menuconfig' and changed a number of things,
amnong them 'processor type' which I set to Pentium III(Coppermine).
(According to 'lshw' this is correct).

I then ran 'make-kpkg' and midway through the compilation process,
*bang*!! The lights went out!  A sudden total shutdown, as if the plug had
just been pulled.  Thankfully, there doesn't appear to have been any harm
done, but surely this is not supposed to happen :-/

One of things I was trying to get working was acpi power management. Could
this have something to do with it?

I always expect errors but this...?  I don't understand how this can
happen?

Anyone any ideas, before I have another go?

Incidentally, does anyone knows which modules are required for power
management on this type of box?  ('swsusp' is one that I know of).

sebyte

--
CC me by all means but a follow-up will usually do.