Kernel Option Policy

Hello:

There is one thing that puzzles me when tweaking a new installed
system and/or replacing a kernel:
"Is this option as a module or is it embedded into the kernel"
     or more precisely:
"Should I append a lilo option or should I modify /etc/modutils"

May I know if there is a policy about that issue: what will be embedded
and what will be a module?  Is there a consistent warranty other than
"the essence is that nothing is built in if it can be avoided".

regards,

--
Rahmat M.  Samik-Ibrahim -- vLSM.org  -- http://rms46.vLSM.org/ --
Fetch my GNUPG public key at http://rms46.vlsm.org/pgp/pub.txt ---