Re: Creating kernel-latest-2.X-arch packages

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 11:22:40AM +0200, Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> * Joshua Kwan wrote:
> > Summarizing a small discussion from before we intend to move kernel
> > metapackages (kernel-image-2.6-386, for example) into their own
> > source package so that it is possible to perform security updates on
> > older versions without having to remove the metapackages there

hrm.. I don't understand how this simplifies security updates (assuming
we only have one 2.4 & one 2.6 in sarge).  afaict, its only virtue is that
it lets us do uploads of multiple minor kernel versions.

In fact, in the case of an abi change, security updates become more complex
since there's now an additional package that needs to be updated.

> I prepared this for alpha, with version 3, because I saw version 40
> w?re uploaded for sparc and 100 for i386.
>
> But maybe it'd make more sense to give them the version of the kernel
> which it depends on?

If you do this and then need to change the kernel your meta package depends
upon from 2.4.27 to 2.4.26, you would need an epoch to continue to use the
kernel version.

A large initial version was chosen (aiui), because it will be bigger than
any current version of these meta packages (40 >> 2.6.8-5).